Elon Musk’s net worth in 2022 is presented by ForbesRoom.
|Engineer, industrial designer, and business magnate.
|Date of Birth
|June 28, 1971
|United States of America
Table of Contents
Elon Musk’s Net-Worth
- Elon Musk is attempting to transform transportation on Earth and in space, with his electric car company Tesla and his rocket company SpaceX.
- He owns 21% of Tesla but has committed more than half of it as loan collateral; Forbes has reduced his ownership to account for the loans.
- After allegedly making “false claims” about a proposal to take Tesla private, he stepped down as chairman in 2018, prompting an SEC investigation.
- Musk’s rocket company, SpaceX, is currently worth $46 billion.
- He was born in South Africa and moved to Canada when he was 17 years old. He came to the United States to study at the University of Pennsylvania as a transfer student.
READ ALSO: World’s Wealthiest Actors In 2021
Elon Musk’s ForbesRoom Profile
Musk was born to a Canadian mother and a South African father in Pretoria, South Africa, where he grew up. He attended the University of Pretoria for a short time before traveling to Canada at the age of 17 to study at Queen’s University. Two years later, he transferred to the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned bachelor’s degrees in economics and physics.
In 1995, he came to California to attend Stanford University, but instead chose to pursue a career in business, co-founding Zip2 with his brother Kimbal. Compaq purchased the company for $307 million in 1999. Musk co-founded online bank X.com in the same year, which merged with Confinity in 2000 to establish PayPal, which was later purchased by eBay for $1.5 billion in 2002.
Musk is the CEO, CTO, and main designer of SpaceX, an aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services firm that he started in 2002. He joined electric vehicle firm Tesla Motors, Inc. (now Tesla, Inc.) as chairman and product architect in 2004 and became the company’s CEO in 2008. He was a founding member of SolarCity, a solar energy services firm that is now a Tesla subsidiary, in 2006.
READ ALSO: Wizkid Net-Worth
He co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research organization dedicated to friendly artificial intelligence, in 2015. He co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology business that develops brain–computer interfaces, and The Boring Company, a tunnel construction company, in 2016. Musk has also proposed a high-speed vactrain transit system called the Hyperloop.
Musk has been chastised for his unconventional or unscientific viewpoints and high-profile incidents. Musk was sued for defamation by a diver who assisted in the Tham Luang cave rescue in 2018, and a California jury found in his favor.
In 2018, Musk was sued by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for fraudulently claiming that he had secured funds for a private Tesla takeover. He reached an agreement with the SEC, temporarily resigning as chairman and accepting Twitter usage restrictions. Musk has been chastised for his views on artificial intelligence and the COVID-19 spacecraft.